[LLVMdev] help with llvm.

Abhijit Ray abhijit.ray at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 23:31:29 PDT 2004

brian said:

>>It would help to know what you're intending to do with this prospective
>>compiler you describe.

I have been studying compilers for a while and thought best way to
know it is to write my own. Hence I dont want something which is
industrial strength. Just a compiler which works is enough.
The reason I wanted a compact machine independent format is I want to
have the flexibility of retargetting. I have looked a bit into gcc and
from the looks of it, it does a few machine dependent stuff, quite
early in the compilation hence i didn't want that.

>>Given that, I'm wondering if you've considered using LLVM itself?
I am using LLVM for my work satisfactorily but this one i just want to
write as a personal project., without the frills.

Chris said:
>> In general though, we aren't too interested in spending a lot of time to help
people write competitors to LLVM.  :)   Is there any particular reason
that you cannot use LLVM itself for your purposes?

Its understandable :) and also the demands on your time.  No reason i
cannot use LLVM and as I said above I am using LLVM. I have googled
for a few resources and have found quite a few good ones. What I was
hoping for was to know in advance what problems you faced in
implementing the basic version of it. But ofcourse i do understand its
really a request which doesn't reallyconcern llvm and hence off topic
for this mailing list.

Anyway thanks for your time.
cheers
Abhijit