[LLVMdev] Starting with LLVM-GCC on Cygwin

Brian Gaeke gaeke at uiuc.edu
Tue Oct 5 07:07:31 PDT 2004

On Oct 5, 2004, at 3:39 AM, Alex Vinokur wrote:
> I would like to use LLVM-GCC to compare its performance with other
> compilers.
> Something like testsuite "Computing very large Fibonacci numbers" at
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.c%2B%2B.perfometer/37.

For the performance comparisons that we run, see for example
http://llvm.org/testresults/X86/ ; there we compare LLVM's performance
to regular GCC on a daily, ongoing basis.

> What do I have to download [...] ?
> After gunzip
> * cfrontend-1.3.i386-unknown-freebsd5.2.1.tar.gz
> [...] Which of them should I use on Cygwin?

There is no binary executable C/C++ front-end distributed for
Windows/Cygwin yet. You must build your own from sources; you can't use
the FreeBSD-compiled C/C++ front end.

> 2.1. Which options should I use with  ./configure [options...]?

For a first build of the LLVM tool chain on x86, you don't need to
specify any options. You might want to specify --enable-spec2000 if you
have the SPEC CPU2000 benchmark sources.

> 2.2. Cygwin doesn't have gmake:
> $ which gmake
> gmake: Command not found.
> Could I use make?

Cygwin's make is GNU make; it should work.

-Brian