[LLVMdev] Re: questions about LLVM

Vikram S. Adve vadve at cs.uiuc.edu
Wed Nov 17 15:22:51 PST 2004

Shuo,

>> I have a few questions about LLVM:
>> (1) The LLVM tutorial says LLVM can be used in architecture research.
>> If I want to run my program on an instruction set defined by myself,
>> is LLVM a right tool to do that?

What kind of instruction set do you have in mind?  The closer it is to
one we already target, the easier this is, but it is quite possible to
write a back-end for a relatively new one.

>> In this aspect, is LLVM similar to SimpleScalar simulator?

You can use the interpreter as a simulator for a very abstract machine
(and extend it with any performance metrics you want).   How do you
want to use it?

--Vikram
http://www.cs.uiuc.edu/~vadve
http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/