[LLVMdev] install-bytecode no longer works

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Fri Nov 12 12:32:03 PST 2004

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004, Reid Spencer wrote:
> This kind of thing is one of the many reasons we broke llvm-test out to
> a separate project. It has multiple purposes. Its a correctness test on
> LLVM, its what we base our compiler benchmarks on, and its also where a
> lot of the research gets done. You've been bitten by the latt(n)er. :)
>
> At some point I'd like to see us make some distinctions so that there is
> a correctness test suite whose goal is to always  work on all platforms.
> To date the llvm/test/{Regression,Feature} provide that capability in a
> very minimal way.

llvm-test has many purposes, but it's is there foremost as end-to-end
tests for LLVM.  The best way to do this, IMO is to take random programs
off the shelf and plunk them in there.

The problem with this, of course, is that these programs are often crufty,
maybe buggy, and often have portability problems.

I don't really see a solution to this: if we only accepted non-crufty,
non-buggy, portable programs, we would have an empty set of tests :)

The solution to this is just to hack on the programs where necessary.
I've fixed countless bugs in the programs in llvm-test and portability is
no different.  As long as the spirit of the program stays alive (i.e. no
functionality changes) that is no problem.

Perhaps the right way to handle this particular problem is to add the
appropriate autoconf check to the llvm-test configure, then have the
programs that need alloca use the detected value?

-Chris

-Chris

--
http://llvm.org/