[LLVMdev] LLVM and memory leaks

Morten Ofstad morten at hue.no
Thu Nov 11 04:46:19 PST 2004

I guess the issue of singleton objects leaking is not something that he
LLVM team is very concerned about, since there has been no replies to my
first mail... But for me it is a big problem. I can't use LLVM in our
project if it triggers our leak detection system, since it will hide
other problems.

Since actually deleting these objects is proving difficult (types can
have circular references, so you have to deal with things getting
deleted while there are still references to them), I propose to
introduce a new class SingletonPool to lib/Support which keeps all the
singleton instances and can be free'd without actually calling the
destructors, thus stopping our memory leak detection system from
complaining. All it would require is using new(SingletonPool) when
creating singleton objects. Is this an acceptable solution that you
would accept patches for?

m.