[LLVMdev] LLVM for JIT only use

Misha Brukman brukman at uiuc.edu
Sun Nov 7 13:45:41 PST 2004

On Sun, Nov 07, 2004 at 10:33:09PM +0100, Basile STARYNKEVITCH wrote:
> I want to try to use LLVM only for JIT only use (generating code in
> memory for x86 and, when available PowerPC [32bits])

Cool!  FYI, the PowerPC JIT needs work to make it operational, but the
x86 JIT is good to go.

> How do I ./configure to avoid being asked about llvmgcc, which, in my
> very partial understanding, is only used to parse C code... If I
> understand correctly what Chris Lattner emailed me, LLVM uses only GCC
> frontend for C & C++ parsing. I don't want to parse C or C++.

Don't worry about the configure errors at the end, and just run
"make tools-only".  That will build all the libraries and LLVM tools,
but not build the runtime libraries (which require llvm-gcc).

> I would just want to build the necessary libraries to compile and run
> llvm/examples/HowToUseJIT/HowToUseJIT.cpp and other similar examples.

They will be built automatically at the end of the build.

If you really don't want to link any of the tools, comment them out in
tools/Makefile (set PARALLEL_DIRS to nothing).  You can't just go into
llvm/lib and run 'make' because some of the libraries need to have
utilities built first (llvm/utils) which, in turn, need some basic
libraries (Support and System).

> I want to use LLVM directly from its C++ API to build the "bytecode"
> tree (actually the sequence or tree of LLVM instructions), so I really
> don't need any C or C++ parser.

Makes sense.

HTH,
--