[LLVMdev] LLVM tools sufficient to build the cfrontend for windows from MinGW?

Jeff Cohen jeffc at jolt-lang.org
Wed Nov 3 09:08:22 PST 2004

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 11:25:44 -0600 (CST)
Chris Lattner <sabre at nondot.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, Jeff Cohen wrote:
>
> > The problem with building the frontend on Windows is that gcc cannot be
> > bootstrapped using Window's native compiler -- i.e. VC++ -- unlike every
> > other platform.  It can be built on Windows using gcc, of course, but
> > even then only if the entire GNU environment is present.
>
> Yeah, annoying.  Unfortunately we're not up to fixing GCC :)

Of course not.. you're too busy creating it's replacement :)

> > The real problem is that the bootstrapped frontend binaries built using
> > gcc may not properly link with LLVM binaries built using VC++.  After
>
> I don't think this is a problem.  In particular, the C front-end doesn't
> use any of the LLVM libraries itself: it just outputs a .ll file to a
> file, then gccas/gccld (separate LLVM tools, built without GCC source)
> operate on the result.  I don't think ABI or linking problems should be an
> issue.

OK, I didn't realize that.

> > I think it will be "challenging" to get cfrontend built and running on
> > Windows.
>
> I agree to a certain extent.  Certainly the only way that makes sense is
> to use cygwin or mingw to do the job.  If you're willing to do that, it
> should work just fine.  Over the summer, I had llvmgcc working with
> cygwin and it seemed happy.  :)

It's not that big a problem after all.  It will still be a pain to build
it, and most Windows developers won't have the setup needed to do so (I
currently don't), but that's a non-issue as you should be making a
pre-built binary available for download.  It'd be considered bad taste
not to :)  Building from sources is so....  unixy.