[LLVMdev] LLVM tools sufficient to build the cfrontend for windows from MinGW?

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Tue Nov 2 09:25:44 PST 2004

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, Jeff Cohen wrote:

> The problem with building the frontend on Windows is that gcc cannot be
> bootstrapped using Window's native compiler -- i.e. VC++ -- unlike every
> other platform.  It can be built on Windows using gcc, of course, but
> even then only if the entire GNU environment is present.

Yeah, annoying.  Unfortunately we're not up to fixing GCC :)

> The real problem is that the bootstrapped frontend binaries built using
> gcc may not properly link with LLVM binaries built using VC++.  After

I don't think this is a problem.  In particular, the C front-end doesn't
use any of the LLVM libraries itself: it just outputs a .ll file to a
file, then gccas/gccld (separate LLVM tools, built without GCC source)
operate on the result.  I don't think ABI or linking problems should be an
issue.

> I think it will be "challenging" to get cfrontend built and running on
> Windows.

I agree to a certain extent.  Certainly the only way that makes sense is
to use cygwin or mingw to do the job.  If you're willing to do that, it
should work just fine.  Over the summer, I had llvmgcc working with
cygwin and it seemed happy.  :)

-Chris

> all, gcc runs on Windows only by deluding itself into thinking it's
> really running on Unix, and it does this by using a runtime that
> emulates Unix. This runtime cannot be happy sharing a process with the
> VC++ runtime.
>

> On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 17:33:42 +0100
> "Henrik Bach" <henrik_bach_llvm at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm able to build the llvm tools on the MinGW platform: burg, fpcmp, tblgen,
> > llvm-as, llvm-dis, opt, gccas, llc, llvm-link, lli, gccld, llvm-stub,
> > analyze and extract.
> >
> > I wonder if these tools are sufficient to start build the cfrontend?
> >
> > Henrik.

-Chris

--
http://llvm.org/