[LLVMdev] Final Visual Studio Patches

Morten Ofstad morten at hue.no
Tue Nov 2 00:40:53 PST 2004

Vikram S. Adve wrote:
> Another alternative may be to unify the LLVM-side information
> (opt/debug options, tool names, directories, test scripts, etc.) so
> that most tasks only require you to make changes in one place, and then
> let the rest of the build system be separate for the two platforms.

I think it's OK to have a seperate limited (only the core libraries)
native build for Visual Studio, and use the Unix build system for all
the more advanced tasks. It should be possible to build under Cygwin but
using the MS command line tools. Windows users are generally fond of
binary distributions anyway, so it doesn't really matter much if it's a
bit involved to build everything from the sources.

My port only includes the core llvm libraries, tablegen and the
fibonacci example. None of the tools or compiler front ends have been
built, just enough to generate code dynamically. I still had to use the
gnuwin32 ports of sed, flex and bison to get it working, so it requires
some external tools but nothing as big as the full cygwin32 install...

Anyway, if anyone wants the VS project files just contact me. It's
really a separate thing from the main project so I can see why you're
reluctant to put it in the CVS. And, as said before, I think most
windows users would prefer a binary distribution anyway so the ease of
building the windows version from source is largely irrelevant.

m.