[LLVMdev] new project: LLVM-TV

Brian R. Gaeke gaeke at uiuc.edu
Thu May 13 16:57:02 PDT 2004

Hi LLVM hackers,

We'd like to call your attention to a spiffy new visualization tool
for LLVM which we developed for a class project, which has just come
to fruition.  We call it LLVM-TV (the "Transformation Visualizer").

You're welcome to try it out -- it should build just fine on Linux or
Mac OS X using a current CVS version of LLVM.  Or, if you don't want
to go to the trouble of building it, you can read the user's guide,
which has many pretty screenshots!

Visit our project's web-site at:   http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/~gaeke/llvm-tv

Our abstract is attached.

Thanks,
-Brian Gaeke, Misha Brukman & Tanya Brethour

CS497rej: Object-Oriented Programming and Design (Spring 2004)

LLVM Visualization Tool
Misha Brukman, Tanya Brethour, and Brian Gaeke

The LLVM Visualization Tool (LLVM-TV) can be used to visualize the effects of
transformations written in the LLVM framework. Our visualizations reflect the
state of a compilation unit at a single instant in time, between
transformations; we call these saved states "snapshots". A user can visualize a
sequence of snapshots of the same module---for example, as a program is being
optimized---or snapshots of different modules, for comparison purposes.

Our target audience consists of developers working within the LLVM framework,
who are trying to understand the LLVM representation and its analyses and
transformations. In addition, LLVM-TV has been designed to make it easy to add
new kinds of program visualization modules. LLVM-TV is based on the wxWidgets
cross-platform GUI framework, and uses AT&T Research's GraphViz to draw graphs.