[LLVMdev] Open Source Contributions (was Re: Benchmarks)

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Wed May 5 01:04:01 PDT 2004

On Wed, 5 May 2004, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> > Take 'arch' for example: its approach seems like it would solve almost all
> > of the version control issues that we are facing, and supports
> > decentralized development in particular.  From what I understand, you
> > would be able to do all of your development on your own "local" branch,
> > others could have access to it, and when it's ready, we could pull it in
> > as one big patch or set of changes.
>
> There are a couple of problems. First, arch is not portable to Windows. Are
> you really sure nobody will port ALVA (or parts of it) to that platform?

Arch was just one example.  :)  I'm not familiar with Alva, what is it
(google isn't particularly helpful)?

> Second, local repository is fine, but what if two persons ever decide to work
> on the same branch?

I believe that arch allows you to do this kind of thing:
http://www.gnu.org/software/gnu-arch/tutorial/shared-and-public-archives.html#Shared_and_Public_Archives

... but again, I haven't really spent the time to look into revision
control systems in any detail.

-Chris

--
http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/