[LLVMdev] (no subject)

Vikram S. Adve vadve at cs.uiuc.edu
Sat May 1 19:08:01 PDT 2004

Dear LLVM users,

The development of LLVM has been supported primarily by funding from
the National Science Foundation and the University of Illinois.  in
order to maintain our sources of funding and attract new ones, It is
important for us to be able to document how LLVM is benefiting
companies, universities, other organizations, and individuals in the
outside world.  (The information we get from downloads is insufficient
because we cannot distinguish casual downloads from active users.)

WE HOPE YOU WILL HELP US GATHER THIS STATISTICAL INFORMATION.  If you
are using LLVM at present or have used LLVM in the past, please answer
the following short list of questions.  It would be sufficient for us
to get "anonymous" information such whether you are at a university or
company, using LLVM for development, research, or teaching, etc..
Additional specifics such as company names, etc., are optional but
valuable also.  Please reply to this message even if you think we know
about you, and even if you are at UIUC but not a member of the LLVM
research group -- it will help us tabulate the information accurately.
(Note that your replies will go to vadve at cs.uiuc.edu, not to
llvmdev at cs.uiuc.edu):

                     ---BRIEF QUESTIONNAIRE FOR LLVM USERS---

(a) Do you consider yourself an active user of LLVM at present?

(b) If your previous answer is YES, how long have you been using LLVM
actively?  If your answer was NO, when did you stop using LLVM?

(c) Which of the following best describes your project :
	(i)   Development project (including exploratory projects)
	(ii)  Research project
	(iii)  Student using LLVM for a class project
	(iv)  Instructor using LLVM for class projects

(d) Which of the following best describes the organization or context
of your project:
	(i)   University
	(ii)  Established company
	(iii) Startup or early-stage venture
	(iv)  Open source software project
	(v)   Individual interest project

(e) [OPTIONAL] What is the name of your organization referred to in the
previous question?  What is your  department or group?

(f) Which of the following best describes how you are using or used
LLVM (specify all that are applicable):
	(i)   To implement a language
	(ii)  As an optimization framework
	(iii) As a program analysis framework
	(iv)  To implement a managed runtime system (JIT or interpreter-based)
	(v)   For supporting a architecture, processor, or hardware design
	(vi)  For some part of an operating system, e.g., improving
portability or performance.

(g) Where are you located:
	(i)    USA
	(ii)   Canada
	(iii)  Mexico or Central America
	(iii)  South America
	(iv)  Europe excluding Russia
	(v)   Russia
	(vi)  China
	(vii) India
	(viii) Asia excluding China and India
	(ix)   Australia
	(x)    South Pacific excluding Australia

(h) How did you obtain your current copy of LLVM?
	(i)   Web download
	(ii)  CVS access
	(iii) Copy from someone else

(i) [OPTIONAL] If you have any positive or negative comments about
LLVM, please include them here.  All comments are welcome.  If you
don't have time, please do send us the other answers above.   Thanks!!

                        ---END OF QUESTIONNAIRE---

--Vikram Adve

  VIKRAM S. ADVE
  Assistant Professor, Computer Science         E-MAIL: vadve at cs.uiuc.edu
  Siebel Center for Computer Science             PHONE: (217) 244-2016
  Univ. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign            FAX: (217) 265-6582
  201 N. Goodwin Ave.                       http://www.cs.uiuc.edu/~vadve
  Urbana IL 61801-2302.                     http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/