[LLVMdev] Threading support

Misha Brukman brukman at uiuc.edu
Tue Mar 23 01:07:01 PST 2004

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 09:14:39PM -0800, Reid Spencer wrote:
> You are correct that today LLVM doesn't handle multi-threaded
> programs.  However, I believe Misha is working on this now (correct me
> if I'm wrong Misha).

Actually, Brian and I started working on the issue, but it was not
completed. There are locking primitives in the JIT, but it is not
completely thread-safe. That is to say, you can run some pthread
programs, but there's the chance that some of them may not work.

Having said that, I *have* run threaded programs successfully with the
JIT.

> To file a bugzilla on this would be a little redundant. Its a
> well-known issue and one that is being worked on.

As Tanya said -- it's better to have a report so that it's being
tracked, plus we can then add it to the next release page once it is
completely implemented. And, if anyone outside of our group wants to
work on it, they will be able to find it.

--
Misha Brukman :: http://misha.brukman.net :: http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu