[LLVMdev] More on backend testing

John Criswell criswell at cs.uiuc.edu
Mon Jun 21 09:50:02 PDT 2004

Vladimir Prus wrote:
> Ok, I'm slowly making my backend understand stuff in
> test/Programs/SingleSource/UnitTests. I can convert the first test to
> assembler, compile it and run.
>
> The only thing I don't see if the expected outputs from the tests -- so that I
> don't need to look at each test and figure out what it should output. Is it
> true such expected outputs are not available? I not, I'll probably do some
> automation myself.
>
> - Volodya

The reference output for the LLVM test suite is generated by compiling
the test program with the native GCC compiler and running it.  The test
suite then compiles the program using the LLVM compilers, runs the
program, and compares the LLVM program's output to the native program's
output.

In short, we assume that native GCC compiles the program correctly and
then compare LLVM against it.

-- John T.

* John T. Criswell                         Email: criswell at uiuc.edu *
* Research Programmer                                               *
* University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign                        *
* "It's today!" said Piglet. "My favorite day," said Pooh.          *