[LLVMdev] Problems loading passes on Mac OS X

Michael McCracken mmccrack at cs.ucsd.edu
Sat Jun 19 15:53:01 PDT 2004

Hi, I can't get opt to list (in -help) passes that I load using -load.
I see in the list archives that a similar problem has been brought up
before but I didn't see whether it was resolved. Also, this is on Mac
OS X, and the previous question was about Linux.

This problem happens with the Hello pass, so I'll use that to
illustrate. I'm using LLVM 1.2.
The plugin loads with no complaints, so dlopen() is returning success,
and OS X's dlcompat probably isn't the problem.
However, it never gets registered. I've included a transcript below.

I also included some info about the compiler versions, etc. - It's OS X
10.3.4.
Note that on OS X, 'libtool' isn't gnu libtool - that's called
'glibtool', if that matters.

Does anyone have some hints on how to get this working? Thanks.

transcript:

% cd llvm/lib/Transforms/Hello/
% make
Compiling Hello.cpp
Linking hello dynamic debug library
Libraries have been installed in:
    /Users/mike/Documents/hpcl/LLVM/llvm/lib/Debug

If you ever happen to want to link against installed libraries
in a given directory, LIBDIR, you must either use libtool, and
specify the full pathname of the library, or use the `-LLIBDIR'
flag during linking and do at least one of the following:
    - add LIBDIR to the `DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH' environment variable
      during execution

See any operating system documentation about shared libraries for
more information, such as the ld(1) and ld.so(8) manual pages.
======= Finished building hello dynamic debug library =======
Linking hello.o

% opt -load ../../Debug/libhello.dylib -hello
Unknown command line argument '-hello'.  Try: 'opt --help'

% g++ -v
Reading specs from /usr/libexec/gcc/darwin/ppc/3.3/specs
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1495)

% glibtool --version
ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.5 (1.1220 2003/04/05 19:32:58)