[LLVMdev] How to write a new backend?

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Thu Jun 3 19:28:03 PDT 2004

> I'm considering a possibility of writing an llvm backend for my research
> uses.
> The question is how? The REAME.txt in x86 directory does not tell that,
> and I see no other information.

This is just a note that I just deleted the quaint little README.txt file
in the X86 directory, and incorporated the material in it into the
http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/docs/CodeGenerator.html doc.

The document still has a long way to go (suprisingly, code generators are
not trivial ;-), but it has a LOT more documentation about how machine
instructions work now.

I hope this helps.  Also, if you have any questions, please feel free to
ask.  Finally, if you have any contributions to the CodeGenerator.html
doc, we would love to put them in.  :-)

-Chris

--
http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/