[LLVMdev] Scheme compiler.

Tobias Nurmiranta spyck at lysator.liu.se
Sat Jul 17 15:45:28 PDT 2004

Hi, thanks for your mail!

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004, Chris Lattner wrote:

> That is wonderful!  Wow, you did this just ~1 month?  :)

Yes :), even less, but that is since I used the structure from SICP, see
the URL below.

> Cool, ok.  Have you seen the LLVM GC support that is already available:
> http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/docs/GarbageCollection.html
>
> It should be able to support scheme well, though there may be some missing
> bits.

Yes, I will read/use it closer and try to use it, and say if I miss
something. It's GCs and persistent memories my Ph.d work is supposed to be
about :). The scheme compiler is just a small hack for now so that I can
easely understand and debug later on. But maybe I'll get obsessed. :)

> Actually we were just talking about this recently.  I believe that Patrick
> (among other things) is working on a C API to the LLVM IR classes.  Given
> a C-style API, it will definitely be callable from LLVM code (that's kinda
> the point of Patrick's work).  Maybe he can say some more about where this
> stands?

Ok, I look forward to it!

> > [1] http://www.ida.liu.se/~tobnu/compile.ss
>
> This is very neat.  If you put together a little web page for it, and send
> me a blurb, I would be very happy to add this to the projects page. :)

Ok, here you go,

  http://www.ida.liu.se/~tobnu/scheme2llvm/

(what's a blurb? :)

> As you continue development on it, would you be interested in integrating
> this into the LLVM tree?

Sure, it could probably at least be used as an example of how to use the
GC support. Maybe smaller and easier to understand compared to a complete
JVM. :)

,	Tobias