[LLVMdev] LLVM

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Mon Feb 23 22:02:02 PST 2004

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, Jingling Xue wrote:

> Thanks for the quick input. The harder the LLVM is, the harder it is for
> me to teach the course :-) Too many optimisations have been added,
> meaning I have to design many new projects.

Ah, I see what you mean.  :)  If you are looking for ideas, there is still
larges opening in LLVM in the fields of profile guided optimizations and
loop optimizations.  The only PGO we have right now is a basic block
layout optimization, which is really only meant to be a proof of concept,
not a real transformation (it does speed programs up though :).  We have
very little in the way of loop optimization.

Another class of work that can be tackled is code-generator issues.  The
"1.2" code generator has been cleaned up quite a bit, and I am hoping to
get some time to write up some documentation for it in the 1.2
timeframe.  The code generator is currently pretty simple, but all of the
major components are in place.  If you want project ideas for code
generator work, just let me know.  :)

-Chris