[LLVMdev] I'm almost able to build a complete tool suite of LLVM.

Misha Brukman brukman at uiuc.edu
Fri Dec 31 13:10:47 PST 2004

On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 09:41:24PM +0100, Henrik Bach wrote:
> Today, I was almost able to build a complete tool suite of LLVM in the
> MinGW environment.

Great!

> However, llvm-db and bugpoint couldn't build due to some non-win32
> intrinsics. If we could iron these errors out, then I think we could
> tell to jeff and others, to setup a win32 VC-project to compile the
> tool suite.

llvm-db and bugpoint currently cannot be ported to Win32 because they
are built specificly with Unix-style process model, using fork() and
such.

As a result, to be compiled/ran on Win32, both llvm-db and bugpoint need
some _nontrivial_ porting work, i.e. "rewriting".  Note that they are
both filtered out in llvm/tools/Makefile at this time.  There is no
short-term plan to port either one of them, unless someone steps up to
the plate to work out the correct Win32 methods for implementing the
services those tools depend upon, which is, again, not a simple job.

For now, don't worry about building those tools, if you can build
everything else, consider that a complete Win32 build.

--
Misha Brukman :: http://misha.brukman.net :: http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu