[LLVMdev] Re: Starting with LLVM-GCC on Cygwin

Alex Vinokur alexvn at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Dec 28 07:19:59 PST 2004

Henrik Bach wrote:

> You should download and install in the first shot:
>
>   a.. LLVM source code (3.5M)
>   f.. GCC Front End Source Code (30.0M)
>
> Then follow the items listed in
> http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/docs/CFEBuildInstrs.html for Cygwin.

[snip]

<QUOTE from http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/docs/CFEBuildInstrs.html#cygwin>
It has been found that the GCC 3.3.3 compiler provided with recent
Cygwin versions is incapable of compiling the LLVM CFE correctly. If
your Cygwin installation includes GCC 3.3.3 we strongly recommend that
you download GCC 3.4.3, build it separately, and use it for compiling
LLVM CFE. This has been shown to work correctly.
</QUOTE>

However currently latest gcc version in Cygwin is 3.3.3.

So, it seems that currently it is impossible to build LLVM and the GCC
front-end under Cygwin (?).

  Alex Vinokur
     http://sourceforge.net/users/alexvn