[LLVMdev] [patch] native AMD64 support

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Fri Dec 24 16:26:26 PST 2004

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004, Jeff Cohen wrote:
> If by AMD64 you mean true 64-bit mode instruction set, I'd say it's different
> enough to warrant a new target.  The differences between 386/486/586/etc are
> very minor in comparison.

It depends on how different it is.  It is quite similar to the differences
between PPC32/PPC64 and Sparc V8/V9.  Given this, it makes sense to
support the target in lib/Target/X86, so that the common target
description (which is most of it) can be shared between the 32 and 64-bit
systems.  As tblgen and the code generator in general improves, this will
get easier and easier to implement.

By the way, I think that "X86-64" is more vendor neutral than AMD64, as
intel supports effectively the same 64-bit extensions as AMD does.  Given
the choice, I think we should name subtargets, autoconf stuff, etc x86-64
instead of amd64.

Just MHO,

-Chris

>> On Wed, 2004-12-22 at 22:40, Misha Brukman wrote:
>>
>>> If you want to work on something, getting LLC to produce AMD64 code
>>> would be the first step, and getting the JIT to work would be the
>>> second.  I am assuming native 32-bit binaries will run, just slower, so
>>> this is an "optimization". :)
>>
>> I believe x86 BE is due for "sub-target" support to handle variations in
>> the 386, 486, 586, ... instruction sets. Could amd64 be thought of this
>> way? Or, is it different enough that its a new target?

-Chris

--
http://nondot.org/sabre/
http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/