[LLVMdev] LLVM & Large memory 64-bit systems

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Wed Dec 15 21:22:13 PST 2004

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Markus F.X.J. Oberhumer wrote:
> Hello Chris,
>
> many thanks for your quick fix.

No problem.

> I'm currently trying to compile llvm under AMD64 - after applying the trivial
> fix for Burg/zalloc.c attached below I do get pretty far - compilation stops
> somewhere in gcc when compiling libgcc, probably related to a varargs problem.
> I still have to further investigate.

Thanks, applied:
http://mail.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvm-commits/Week-of-Mon-20041213/022366.html

> More problematic is the use of unsigned instead of size_t in many llvm places
> - how does the the following file big_array.c compile on your current 64-bit
> targets:

Hrm, we definitely SUPPORT 64-bit targets, but I KNOW there are still some
places where we probably do the wrong thing for huge sizes like this.

> /* big_array.c */

This is not a good example, because it's a front-end test, but there ARE
known problems.  For example the "malloc" and "alloca" instructions can
only take 'uint' size parameters: they should obviously be generalized to
take uint or ulong parameters so you can say:

   %X = malloc int, ulong <something big>

Other instructions are already fine: obviously we handle different sized
pointers without a problem, and the getelementptr instruction takes 32 or
64-bit indices without problem.  Actually, at inception, getelementptr
ONLY took 64-bit indices. :)

If you're interested in working on this, I would love to get this fixed.
After that, there may be places we incorrectly use unsigned instead of
a "target size_t".  Because we build in cross compiler situations, using
size_t isn't safe either: we should really be using the constant folding
interfaces where it makes sense.  I suspect that the number of problem
areas really is small, but again, they should definitely be fixed.

> p.s. which mailing list would be a better place to discuss such issues ?

llvmdev is the right list for this, I've cc'd it.

-Chris

> #include <stddef.h>
> #include <stdlib.h>
>
> #define COMPILE_TIME_ASSERT(e)  {typedef int __cta_fail[1-2*!(e)];}
>
> /* B is a valid size_t constant on 64-bit machines */
> #define B ((size_t)1 << 33)
>
> struct Foo {
>  char big[B];
>  int dummy;
> };
>
> extern struct Foo foo;
>
> char* p(size_t n)
> {
>  return &foo.big[n];
> }
>
> /* info: gcc-3.4 -O3 on AMD64 translates this into a "return 1;" */
> int y(void)
> {
>  ptrdiff_t d1;
>  ptrdiff_t d2;