[LLVMdev] Building llvm and cfrontend under cygwin

Reid Spencer reid at x10sys.com
Thu Dec 9 18:50:32 PST 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 17:44, Oleg Smolsky wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> > Also note, LLVM 1.4 will be released in the next few days, so if
> waiting is
> > an option, you might choose to do so.
> Alright, I've got llvm and llvm-gcc from RELEASE_14 cvs and tried
> building it under cygwin.
>
> 1) The first problem is with llvm in SysUtils.c:
> int executeProgram(const char *filename, char *const argv[], char *const
> envp[])
> {
> 	execveTy execvePtr = (execveTy) dlsym(RTLD_NEXT, "execve");
> }
>
> RTLD_NEXT is not defined in cygwin headers.

Yeah, that's bad. Unfortunately, there's not much I can do about that
for 1.4. You should know that my focus for 1.5 is to make LLVM
completely portable by putting all the code that varies from platform to
platform into lib/System. This is partially implemented but there is
much more work to do.

> 2) cfontend built ok
> 3) full llvm failed to build:
>
> make[3]: Entering directory
> `/cygdrive/d/3rd-party/llvm/runtime/GCCLibraries/crtend'
> llvm[3]: Compiling Exception.cpp for Debug build (bytecode)
> llvm[3]: Linking comp_genericeh.bc component...
> llvm[3]: Compiling crtend.c for Debug build (bytecode)
> llvm[3]: Compiling listend.ll for Debug build
> llvm[3]: Linking comp_main.bc component...
> assertion "(Result->isFirstClassType() || Result == Type::VoidTy ||
> isa<OpaqueType>(Result)) && "LLVM functions cannot return aggregates""
> failed: file "Type.cpp", line 373

I don't know what's up with that, but I'll do a cygwin build and see
what is happening.

Reid.