[LLVMdev] lib/System Unleashed - Need Your Help!

Reid Spencer reid at x10sys.com
Sun Aug 29 23:26:16 PDT 2004

Hi Vladimir,

The LLVM source base used to be dependent on boost but we have removed
that dependency because it had a high cost for the relatively small
portions of it that we needed. boost is a general purpose C++ library
that happens to handle filesystem things in a somewhat portable way.
However, lib/System will handle signals, memory mapped files, program
execution, and several other things that boost does not provide.
Additionally, as compilers go, we'll probably end up supporting some
esoteric platforms (Interix is already on the way) that boost does not
support.

I imagine that if we need more of the kinds of things boost provides
that we should revisit our design goal to remove boost from LLVM but I
don't think we're there yet.

Reid.