[LLVMdev] lib/System Unleashed - Need Your Help!

Reid Spencer reid at x10sys.com
Sun Aug 29 13:27:51 PDT 2004

Folks,

With some MacOS help from Nate, I've begun the conversion of LLVM to use
lib/System, the operating system independence layer. Currently, the
library has implementations for three abstractions: Path, Program, and
Signals. These provide some basic utilities for manipulating file system
paths, finding and executing programs, and cleaning up after Signals.
The implementations should work on most Unix systems. Linux and MacOS
are already verified.

The implementation of the lib/System interface should work on Solaris,
BSD, and perhaps a few other Unix systems. If you run into problems,
please let me know. Right now, the only thing that should affect any
tool other than llvmc is the RemoveFileOnSignal and
PrintStackTraceOnErrorSignal functions. These have been moved out of
lib/Support and into lib/System.

Until I can get some hardware for each kind of system (should happen
this fall), I would like to ask for volunteers to assist in the testing
and porting of lib/System to: Darwin, Solaris 8/9, AIX, Cygwin, BSD 4.X
and Win32 platforms. I would like to see LLVM some day soon run natively
on Win32 platforms without the use of Cygwin. This requires a complete
conversion of LLVM to use lib/System and then porting of lib/System to
Win32. Does anyone want to volunteer for the port? My Win32 knowledge is
pretty rusty (circa 1997).

Can I get a volunteer on each platform?  I was thinking:

Darwin: Nate
Solaris: Brian
BSD: Vladimir M
AIX: Misha ?
Cygwin: ?
Win32: ?

*All* you need to do is notice when I make changes to lib/System and
then update, reconfigure, and compile lib/System (as checked in), run
the lib/System test suite, and send me the results. If anything breaks,
I'll figure out what needs to change and patch it (for Unix systems).

Reid.