[LLVMdev] Can't get llvmg++ to work

Reid Spencer reid at x10sys.com
Fri Aug 20 08:52:28 PDT 2004

Hi Jeff,

On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 08:07, Jeff Cohen wrote:
> OK.  I've built the front end without any heartaches, but I did
> encountered the following glitches:
>
> The documentation of --with-llvmgccdir is a bit ambiguous.  I had to try
> several paths before I got the right one.  It should state that the
> directory is <path>/cfrontend/<platform>/llvm-gcc.

Okay, I'm not sure which documentation you're referring to but if you'd
care to submit a patch, I'd be happy to apply it. Please use unified
diff (cvs diff -u).

> I figured it was a good idea to throw away any part of the runtime that
> did compile successfully, so I "cd runtime" and did a "gmake clean".
> This apparently deleted too many files, as I then got:
>
> gmake[3]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/home/llvm/obj/runtime/GCCLibraries/crtend/BytecodeObj/crtend.bc', needed by `/usr/home/llvm/obj/runtime/GCCLibraries/crtend/BytecodeObj/comp_main.bc'.  Stop.
>
> Rerunning configure cured the problem.  But that touched something that
> triggers a lot of recompilation.

Yeah, that can be a pain.

> Alas the machine I'm using is
> underpowered and it'll be a while before it's finished.  In the hardware
> requirements you might want to add 128MB as the minimum for x86 systems.
> Please don't ask how I know that :-)

heh :)

I won't ask, but I'll sure wonder :)

> I can create a tarbell of the FreeBSD binaries and upload it to you if
> you like (once I confirm everything is working properly).

yes. That would be good. Could you cc: Misha Brukman and Brian Gaeke on
that too. I don't have write access to the LLVM web site (I'm not
affiliated with UIUC).

Thanks, Jeff.

Reid