[LLVMdev] Optimization Levels - Need The Details

Reid Spencer reid at x10sys.com
Sat Aug 14 17:25:45 PDT 2004

Folks,

I'm at the point in developing llvmc (Compiler Driver) where I need to
get the details on the specific optimization arguments that the -O
family of options should (by default) issue to "opt". I'm soliciting
your feedback on this so I can start testing optimization. Hopefully you
can provide it by early this coming week.

For clarity, the -O options are currently defined as:

-O0 - synonym for -O1
-O1 - options to speed up compilation, not execution
-O2 - simple/fast module/function optimizations
-O3 - aggressive module/function optimizations (as well as -O2)
-O4 - simple/fast link time optimizations (as well as -O3)
-O5 - aggressive link time optimizations (as well as -O4)

What I'm looking for is a list of equivalent "opt" options for each of
the five optimization levels defined above. This supports language front
ends that don't do their own optimization (e.g. Stacker).

Thanks,

Reid.