[LLVMdev] Compiler Driver Decisions

Misha Brukman brukman at uiuc.edu
Wed Aug 4 12:23:10 PDT 2004

On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 12:16:12PM -0700, Reid Spencer wrote:
> So I propose:

[snip]
> -O3 = aggressive optimization, regardless of computation time with the
>         effect of producing the fastest executable

I would suggest splitting -O3 into 2 or more levels of optimization,
because as written, -O3 sounds pretty scary: "regardless of computation
time", and given some people who thing that several minutes of compile
time is acceptable, I think it's useful to split it into "aggresive
opt", "aggresive interprocedural opt", and "aggressive interprocedural
analysis with interprocedural opt".

--
Misha Brukman :: http://misha.brukman.net :: http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu