[LLVMdev] Compiler Driver Decisions

Reid Spencer reid at x10sys.com
Wed Aug 4 08:19:58 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 07:38, Misha Brukman wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 01:17:24AM -0500, Chris Lattner wrote:
> > On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, Reid Spencer wrote:
> > > I'm not thrilled with llvm-gen because it has overtones of "code
> > > generation" (which actually isn't far from the truth). But, it
> > > conjures up the wrong kind of tool .. something more like yacc or
> > > bison. However, I don't have any good alternatives in mind. I'll
> > > ponder some more.
> >
> > How about llvm-comp?
>
> Sorry, that makes no sense to me, and I am a compiler developer. :)
>
> `comp' is too common as a root of many words in common use --
> `compare', `compassion', etc.  On this list are `computer' and
> `compiler', and that doesn't help things any.

That was my reaction too.

How about something along the notion of "build or construct" as in we
have two primary tools in llvm:

llvm-build - builds programs to be run
llvm-run    - runs programs built by llvm-build

I'm not thrilled with llvm-build because its dull but from the
dictionary there is also:

llvm-construct (too long?)
llvm-make        (obvious confusion)
llvm-forge       (obscure)