[LLVMdev] Compiler Driver [high-level comments]

Reid Spencer reid at x10sys.com
Mon Aug 2 22:44:09 PDT 2004

I have a very simple XML document type that I use for configuring XPS
systems. There's only four elements and it follows much the same kind of
grouped name/value pairs that Chris is suggesting. Chris' example would
be like:
<configuration name="llvm">
 <group name=".c">
   <item name="compile">cc1 %in -o %out</item>
   <item name="optimize">gccas %in -o %out.bc</item>
  </group>
</configuration>

I think something like this satisfies all the goals:
* simple and easy; recursive descent parser is a no-brainer
* XML format with full DTD (RNG or XML Schema) that can be used by other
  tools to auto-configure llvmcs
* structured so we can extend in the future

Reid.