[LLVMdev] Compiler Driver Decisions

Reid Spencer reid at x10sys.com
Mon Aug 2 17:28:33 PDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-02 at 17:31, Chris Lattner wrote:

> > LLVMCC = LLVM Compiler Collection, a la GCC
> > After all, it's going to be the "driver", like GCC, and unify
> > front-ends, so I should be able to do:
> >
> > % llvmcc a.java -o a.o
> > % llvmcc b.cpp -o b.o
> >
> > Right?
>
> Absolutely.  The problem is that "C compiler" is what people think of when
> they see CC.  This we certainly are not.  If we are really a compiler of
> code, why not just call it llvmc?  Also, just because GCC set a precedent
> here does not mean that it needs to be followed.  Their renaming to
> compiler collection is largely due to historical reasons.

I actually like Misha's point here. Most people that have used GCC
recently realize that the CC means "Compiler Collection" and not "C
Compiler" which is appropriate given what it does. Since we intend to be
front end language agnostic and the driver tool will support multiple
front end languages, "Compiler Collection" is appropriate for LLVM too.

I agree that llvm is overloaded and should be avoided. So its either
llvmc or llvmcc. My vote is for the latter.

Reid.