[LLVMdev] An LLVM 1.3 Request

Reid Spencer reid at x10sys.com
Tue Apr 13 22:45:02 PDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 20:17, Chris Lattner wrote:

> I guess I don't understand why making these changes is not
> straight-forward and incremental.  It seems as though #1 is just strictly
> local changes to llvm/test/Programs/Makefile.programs, with no other
> changes.  This can be tested and worked on exactly as you mentioned, and
> there should be zero breakage in the process.

Not quite. The configure script contains hard coded partial paths from
the root of the tree to all Makefiles, including those in
llvm/test/Programs directory. I can't go changing the locations of files
and the contents of the makefiles without also changing configure.ac. If
I change configure.ac then it affects everyone. If it affects everyone,
I need to do it on a branch. I can't do that without cvs access.

> Once that is done, the configure script can be split into two pieces,
> again, without breaking anything.  Once the makefiles and configure script
> are changed, it shouldn't matter where the directory lives.

So, what you're saying is that I provide you with a patch that excises
all of test/Programs/... from the llvm configure.ac and removes all the
related --enable-xyz options. You check this in. Then what? You've now
disabled your testing environment waiting for a subsequent patch from me
that restores it in "some other directory". Or, were you going to check
the configure.ac change into a branch.  If so, then I have to work out
of a branch that you're administering and we have synchronization
problems.  This is the part that gets time consuming.

I can't retain things in both worlds because autoconf won't configure
anything that isn't in a directory that is a descendant of
${top_srcdir}.

Gack.

Can't we just be subversive and use subversion? :)

You invited that comment :)

Reid.