[LLVMdev] SSA

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Mon Apr 5 20:43:01 PDT 2004

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004, Vinay S. Belgaumkar wrote:

> Sorry for the confusion, Misha seemed to answer my question in one way.
> It'll be easier if I break down my question into parts -

Ah, ok.  Yeah Misha got it  :)

> - Is it possible to see the SSA form generated for my program ?

Yes, absolutely.  If you have the LLVM bytecode file, just use llvm-dis.
For example:

$ llvmgcc -c test.c -o test.bc
$ llvm-dis test.bc -o test.ll
% vi test.ll

> - Now, if this form is readable, is it in assembly code format ?

Yes, it's documented in the LLVM language reference, here:
http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/docs/LangRef.html

To create a bytecode file again, use the llvm-as tool:

$ llvm-as test.ll -o test.bc -f

> We want to look at the SSA form for any program and see if we can make
> some changes ourselves to that format so that its reflected in the
> original code.
>
> Does this sound like too crazy a thing to do ?  :)

Not at all!

-Chris

--
http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/