[LLVMdev] Verifier & abort()

Reid Spencer reid at x10sys.com
Thu Apr 1 19:55:03 PST 2004

Hi,

Through some fat fingered typing of my own, I've run into some LLVM
Verifier failures recently. I've noticed that the basic action the
Verifier takes is to print some messages and then call abort(). The XPL
Compiler is written as a compile server. It can take requests to compile
multiple files from different sources. Therefore, abort() isn't
particularly friendly in this situation.  While I should write a
compiler that doesn't fail verificiation, I'm also not perfect. So, I'd
prefer it if there was a way to override this behavior.

Would anyone mind if I changed the Verifier to allow installation of a
failure handler function that defaults to abort()?  I would also like to
change the verifier to print to an arbitrary iostream instead of always
to std::cerr. This will help me capture the verifier's output and
produce it to the user within an "ICE" message. Again, the default would
be std::cerr so if you don't use the new api, the current behavior is
retained.

Reid.