[LLVMdev] recompilation

Misha Brukman brukman at uiuc.edu
Mon Sep 8 09:55:01 PDT 2003

I should point out something I missed the first time...

On Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 11:45:20PM -0500, David Crowe wrote:
> When we recompile, is it possible to "make" only one of the tools,

This I answered in the previous email.

> or at least relink only the tools whose object files have changed?

This is the default behavior: make looks at timestamps of the object
files, and if any of them are newer than the tool binary, that means a
library changed and the tool needs to be re-linked.

In other words, if you *ALWAYS* run a top-level make, you will ONLY
relink those tools whose libraries (object files) have changed.

However, given that the tools share the common libraries, changing a
single file *may* force a re-linking of several tools if you do a
top-level make. In this case, please see the previous email about the
`makellvm' script.

Hope that answers your question.

--
Misha Brukman :: http://misha.brukman.net