[LLVMdev] Packages

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Sun Nov 16 14:58:00 PST 2003

> While on the subject of annotating bytecode with analysis info, could I
> entice someone to also think about carrying other types of source-level
> annotations through into bytecode ? This is particularly useful for
> situations where one wants to use LLVM infrastructure for its
> whole-program optimization capabilities, however wouldn't want to give
> up on the ability to debug the final product binary. At the moment, my
> understanding is that source code annotations like file names, line
> numbers etc isn't carried through. When one gets around to linking the

Yes, this is very true.  This is on my medium-term todo list.  LLVM will
definitely support this, its just that we want to do it right and we are
focusing on other issues at the moment (like performance).

At the moment, the best way to debug LLVM compiled code is to use the C
backend, compile with -g, and suffer through the experience.  :(

Luckily, when writing LLVM optimizations and such, bugpoint makes things
much much nicer.  :)

-Chris

--
http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/