[LLVMdev] Packages

Reid Spencer reid at x10sys.com
Sun Nov 16 12:22:01 PST 2003

I'm wondering if LLVM has or should have support for a grouping of
modules (which I'll call a package).  That is, a package is a partial
program contains many (probably related) modules.  One might roughly
compare it to a shared library.  The reason that it is important is that
we want to (a) distribute packages, not individual modules and (b)
optimize the entire package (e.g. IPO) as a unit before distribution.

In other words, I'd like to take a set of bytecode files, optimize them
together even though they don't form a complete program, and then write
out the new (optimized) bytecode files. It would be preferable to write
them out to a single archive rather than to individual bytecode files
again.

Can this be done in LLVM today? If not, what would it take to implement?

Reid.