[LLVMdev] llvm 1.0, g++, SuSE 9, internal compiler error

"?=Valery A.Khamenya=?koi8-r?Q?" khamenya at mail.ru
Thu Nov 13 12:29:01 PST 2003

> > - gcc bug
> > - problem with SuSE distribution
>
> One of these two.  In theory GCC should never crash (even if the LLVM
> sources had problems), and since SuSE made modifications to the compiler
> before they shipped it, they implicitly took responsibility for the end
> result.

I agree.

> You can try sending a bug report to SuSE.

hm, sending bug report is not my favorite hobby :)

> That said, if you can figure out what is causing the problem,

well, I know:

assert( expression && "my way to kick out gcc from SuSE 9 :)" )

BTW, the following

(expression && "my way to kick out gcc from SuSE 9 :)")

is ok for gcc. So the problem comes from composition this argument with assert itself.

>  I would definitely like to put a workaround in the LLVM code, assuming it's not
> too ugly.  Compatibility with a broad range of compilers is important,
> even if they are buggy.  :)

I see. The following ugly workaround helps:

#ifdef NDEBUG
  bool b = getOption(ArgName) == Opt ;
  assert( b && "Arg not in map!");
#endif