[LLVMdev] Getting To Native Code

Vikram Adve vadve at cs.uiuc.edu
Wed Nov 12 13:46:02 PST 2003

Let me add to one point that Misha made (just to show I actually read
these messages!)...

>> Any ballpark ideas on when an alpha version could be available? Are we
>> talking months or years here?
>
> First of all, I would like to point out that the goal is *NOT* to
> compile Linux
> to run natively on your favorite architecture; instead, we aim to
> compile Linux
> to a bytecode file which can then be run in userspace via an execution
> environment (i.e., code generator + implementation of OS services for
> a given
> target). The goal here is to abstract away the hardware from the OS,
> using
> these magical `intrinsics' that were mentioned. This means that Linux
> is ported
> to run on a fundamentally new architecture, which we call LLVA. You
> can see
> our MICRO paper on this topic:
>
>   http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/pubs/2003-10-01-LLVA.html

The above paper describes LLVA as a virtual instruction set for new
processor designs.  But in the context of Linux, LLVA can be a way to
virtualize the processor even for ordinary processors.   I thought I
should clarify this because our MICRO paper does not try to make this
point.

LLVA is essentially LLVM extended with enough low-level details to act
as a hardware instruction set, as opposed to "just" a compiler and
user-level code representation.

> This implies that it is not intended for end-user consumption but more
> for a proof-of-concept and ongoing research potential.

You're being too modest, Misha --- this is going to be the Linux of the
future :)

--Vikram
http://www.cs.uiuc.edu/~vadve
http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/