[LLVMdev] repeated recursion with =?koi8-r?Q?=22?=frozen=?koi8-r?Q?=22=20?=arguments

"Валерий Хаменя" khamenya at mail.ru
Tue Aug 26 15:44:43 PDT 2003

Hi llvm-devels,

there is a very simple using case concerning LLVM and I am wondering whether it might be optimized at LLVM layer:

//-----------
int rec_func(int x, int y) {
  if(y<0) return x;
  return y + rec_func(x, y-1); // should we really push x?
}
void main() {
  rec_func(1, 1000);
  rec_func(2, 2000);
}
//-----------

Guys, don't focus on a stupid mathematics beyond this function :)
Please focus your attention at the fact, that argument `x'
is once supplied at the top level calls in `main' and
never changed anymore from within `rec_func' function.

This example is just quite close to a "lexical closures" specifics.

The similar things we have when we pass `this' pointer
to non-static member functions in C++ (why should we
pass `this' pointer always if it was not changed?).

However, I guess in classical code generation approaches
argument `x' (like `this' pointer) is always pushed into
a stack with _every_ call.

But, it is possible to generate individual code implementations
for every top-level call of `rec_func' to avoid big number of
extra `push'.

In terms of C++: there should be a possibility to regenerate
non-static member functions for a given instantiated object
of the classes where performance is critical, e.g. for classes
like valarray.

So, my questions are:

Q1. should/might the optimization like this be resolved at LLVM layer?

if "yes" then

Q2. is LLVM capable of doing things like that today?

Thanks.
--
Valery