[LLVMdev] llvm-g++ barfs

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Mon Sep 30 15:07:01 PDT 2002

> In the quest for better test cases for my MP, I thought of trying
> the Stepanov Abstraction Penalty benchmark. But apparently llvm-g++
> is not ready for such terrible things. Let me know if you want me
> to send the source code (it is widely available).

Uhm, yeah, well... C++ is not supported.  :)  Although it's conceivable it
might work for VERY VERY VERY simple C++ programs (like a single class, no
standard headers), exception support has not been implemented at all, and
there are probably lots of other things that don't work.  In general, I
haven't even tried to use the C++ compiler for more than a year (and back
then it was far from working).

There isn't anything precluding getting the G++ frontend to work (and it's
probably not that hard, baring exception support), but I don't have the
time to work on it now.  The C++ frontend is definately on my TODO list,
although it probably won't be working well enough for use before 426 is
over.  :(

Perhaps after Thanksgiving I can give it a try and see how things stand...

-Chris

btw, bitfields are currently broken in the GCC frontend as well, they just
haven't been high enough priority to fix yet.  My LLVM TODO list is very
long.  :)

http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/
http://www.nondot.org/~sabre/Projects/