[LLVMdev] modify instructions

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Sun Sep 29 12:26:01 PDT 2002

> I think since we use the replaceAllUsesWith to replace all
> uses of old one, the old one should already be a instruction
> with # of uses equals 0. So it should be Ok to directly delete
> it. Can you let me know if there is anything wrong with simple
> deletion? Why can we create illegal LLVM?

You can't 'delete' it because the instruction is probably still embedded
in the program, so data structures are still using it.

Please see this section of the programmers manual to see how to do it:
http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/docs/ProgrammersManual.html#schanges_deleting

And yes, after calling replaceAllUsesWith, it is legal to remove the
instruction from the program.

-Chris