[LLVMdev] RE: Disk Space on /usr/dcs/projects

Vikram S. Adve vadve at cs.uiuc.edu
Wed Sep 18 06:56:04 PDT 2002

Thanks for the warning!  I checked and the executables take up about 2/3 of
the space (380MB) vs. about 180MB for the libs.  Since we are usually only
debugging one executable at a time (if any), I modified Makefile.common to
strip each executable in tools/Debug by default.  You can define
KEEP_SYMBOLS in the Makefile of any particular tool in order to avoid
stripping that executable.

I have added KEEP_SYMBOLS = 1 in the Makefile for opt since that is likely
to be needed by most people.  It is undefined for all other executables.

This saves about 300MB per user!

--Vikram

 VIKRAM S. ADVE
 Assistant Professor                         E-MAIL: vadve at cs.uiuc.edu
 Department of Computer Science                 PHONE:  (217) 244-2016
 Univ. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign          FAX:    (217) 244-6869
 1304 W. Springfield Ave.                http://www.cs.uiuc.edu/~vadve
 Urbana IL 61801.