[LLVMdev] Cleaner gmake output

Misha Brukman brukman at cs.uiuc.edu
Wed Sep 11 17:32:00 PDT 2002

Compiling with "gmake" should produce less output. The compilation/linking
flags are always the same anyway, who wants to see so much text on the
screen? Compiling with "gmake VERBOSE=1" should produce all the output
you're used to.

So, here's a patch to do the above:

	/home/vadve/brukman/research/patches/0911-makefile-verbose

Basically it checks for VERBOSE being defined, and if it is, sets VERB
appropriately. VERB is then prepended in a bunch of key places such that
when VERB is "@", the command is not echoed, when VERB is not set to
anything, it's as before.

One thing I could not get rid of is "gmake[1]: Entering directory <blah>",
but running "gmake -s" suppresses it all, and shows just the interesting
stuff.

Now output (when running "gmake -s" will look something like):

<snip>
======= Linking target debug library =======
Compiling Writer.cpp
Compiling getLLVMinfo.cpp
Compiling as.cpp
Compiling dis.cpp
Compiling opt.cpp
Compiling gccas.cpp
<snip>

Suggestion/comments welcome. If this is deemed good and I should commit
it, let me know.

-misha