[llvm-announce] LLVM 3.0 Release!

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Thu Dec 1 13:49:47 PST 2011

Hello LLVM People,

Welcome to LLVM 3.0! Get it here: http://llvm.org/releases/
or read about it: http://llvm.org/releases/3.0/docs/ReleaseNotes.html

This release represents approximately 6 months of development over
LLVM 2.9, and delivers a large number of improvements.  Some of the
bigger leaps include a new register allocator (which can provide
substantial performance improvements in generated code), full support
for atomic operations and the new C++ memory model, major improvement
in the MIPS backend, and support for gprof/gcov style of profiling
information.  In addition to these enhancements, there are countless
smaller improvements - please see the release notes for more
information and details.

Though this release is another incremental improvement over LLVM 2.9,
the "3.0" number gives us the excuse to drop some old baggage.  As
such, LLVM 3.0 no longer includes support for the llvm-gcc frontend
(please use Clang or Dragonegg instead) and does not read LLVM .bc or
.ll files from LLVM 2.8 or earlier.  Our goal is for *all* future
releases of LLVM to be able to read LLVM 3.0 files, making it a
stable file format.

Speaking of Clang, Clang 3.0 has also made numerous big leaps in this
release: many new C'1x and C++'11 (aka C++'0x) features are
implemented and it supports the Objective-C 'Automatic Reference
Counting' system.  Clang generates faster code, compiles faster, and
produces even better error and warning messages than LLVM 2.9.
Clang also includes its own release notes for this release with many
more details:
http://llvm.org/releases/3.0/docs/ClangReleaseNotes.html

This release would not be possible without our volunteer release team.
Thanks to our release manager Bill Wendling, as well as Duncan Sands,
Anton Korobeynikov, Conrad Taylor, Jonas Bülow, Roman Divacky, Pawel
Worach, NAKAMURA Takumi, Joe Abbey, Nikola Smiljanic, and Tanya Lattner
for their work to qualify and shepherd the release.

If you have questions or comments about this release, please contact
the LLVMdev mailing list!  Onward to LLVM 3.1!

-Chris

LLVM Release Announcement Linked List:
http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvm-announce/2011-April/000037.html