[llvm-announce] Updated C/C++ frontends for LLVM 1.4

John Criswell criswell at cs.uiuc.edu
Wed Dec 22 09:29:53 PST 2004

Dear LLVM Users,

In our current work on LLVM, we've modified the C/C++ frontend build
instructions so that they build the frontend compiler as llvm-gcc and
llvm-g++ (as opposed to gcc and g++).  Additionally, we also modified
the LLVM configure script to search for llvm-gcc/llvm-g++ so that the
llvmgccdir option is no longer required.

While these changes are not in LLVM 1.4, they may cause problems for
LLVM users who are using the C/C++ frontends from LLVM 1.4 but are
otherwise building the latest LLVM sources from our CVS repository.

For this reason, we have built new C/C++ frontends that contain symbolic
links  between llvm-gcc/gcc and llvm-g++/g++.  This should ensure that
these binary frontends work both with LLVM 1.4 and our latest CVS
sources.  If you download the C/C++ frontends, they will contain the
same binary programs as earlier downloads, but the tar files will have
different checksums due to the additional symbolic links.

If you have any questions, please post them to the llvmdev mailing list
(llvmdev at cs.uiuc.edu).

Regards,

John Criswell