[lldb-dev] Pre-merge lldb testing

Pavel Labath via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue May 19 07:13:57 PDT 2020

I believe pre-merge testing would be very useful.

The thing which I would find very useful (let's call it a feature
request) is to be able to get some sort of an overview/dashboard of all
the runs on this infrastructure and their results. It doesn't have to be
super detailed -- the question which I want an answer to is "which
builds have an lldb test failing", and the reason is to check for
possible flakyness.

The reason I am bringing this up is because lldb tests tend to be more
flaky than most llvm tests (for various reasons). I've been trying to
hunt down all the causes of this, and I believe we're in a pretty good
shape right now (I haven't seen a flaky build on linux for at least
three weeks), but it is not uncommon for new test setups to uncover new
sources of flakyness.

In particular, I am interested in the behavior of tests exercising the
hardware debug features of cpus (e.g. hardware watchpoints), as I know
that a lot of virtualization environments don't virtualize these
properly/reliably (and IIUC, this infrastructure uses at least one level
of virtualization). If these tests are not reliably there, we should
avoid running them on this infrastructure.

I don't think this needs to block anything, but I want to make sure
everyone is aware of the possible issues.

pl