[lldb-dev] How to tell if an address belongs to the heap?

Vangelis Tsiatsianas via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Feb 8 02:24:33 PST 2020

One important thing I forgot to mention in my previous email (although I thought I had done so) is that I am using LLDB to execute the target in single-step mode, thus I am already incurring the 1000x slowdown. Given that, the extra processing comes practically for free.

In addition, while I currently focus on Darwin on x86-64, I would prefer to make decisions that lead to a cross-{architecture, language, platform} solution, ideally without affecting the binary.

Regarding your mmap() interception suggestion, I had also considered it, but thought that it would require a kernel driver for handling the page faults of the process in order to function properly, since LD_PRELOAD / DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES wouldn’t work for programs that use syscalls directly or statically link with libc.

I believe that the initial solution, aka using "image lookup" and "memory region $sp", would better fulfil my current requirements, so I am going to give that a try.

Last but not least, I would like to mention that I’ve found your insights extremely helpful and really appreciated your willingness to help me, so thank you one more time! 😊

― Vangelis