[lldb-dev] Adding a new architecture into LLDB

Greg Clayton via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jul 12 14:11:29 PDT 2019

> On Jun 18, 2019, at 7:08 AM, Romaric Jodin via lldb-dev <lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am trying to add a new architecture into LLDB.
> My architecture is a accelerator with its own ISA for which we have a LLVM backend (release 7.1).
>
> I have started by creating a new NativeProcessProtocol for my architecture. So I have a lldb-server that run on a x86, but which takes care of process of my architecture. I have forced it to use my NativeProcessProtocol.
> I have a issue with this method because as the lldb-server is compile to run on a x86, some part of the code think that it is managing x86 process.

> Maybe I am going in the wrong direction to add such new architecture to LLDB, I would be happy to try any other suggestions.

lldb-server is currently meant to build a native debugging GDB server that can be used with lldb. If you want to always build a cross build lldb-server for your architecture, you will want to add a new tool that gets built in the CMakeList.txt in the tools/lldb-server directory. You will need to build it into a different binary like "lldb-server-dpu". I am not sure how much trouble you will run into doing this though as much of the lldb-server build assumes things match the current host.