[lldb-dev] [llvm-dev] [Github] RFC: linear history vs merge commits

Adrian Prantl via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jan 30 08:50:43 PST 2019

> On Jan 29, 2019, at 4:55 PM, Jeremy Lakeman via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> 5. When a new feature is broken up into a patch series, the series should be rebased then immediately merged to help identify the individual patches in the history graph.

Typically the LLVM development model discourages merging big features in one go and instead gravitates towards breaking patches up into small, easy to reason about patches that gradually morph the code towards the goal. This makes it easier for reviewers and to track down regressions after each patch landed. For this reason we rarely have series of connected patches coming in at once.

-- adrian